Non Emergency 0407 583 121
Emergency 000

4 August 2016

Management Meeting

4 August 2016

 

present: Malcolm, Greg, Chris, Maria, Judy, Geoff, Amanda

apologies – Matt

 

meeting opened 7.06pom

 

matters arising from previous minutes:

  • in relation to the capital expenditure for 52 pump: Kaye Healing is still to advise Greg of the approval process as the systems. Greg advised that we can go ahead with the 41 Reel

motion to pass the minutes: Greg. Second by Judy. All agreed

 

Correspondence inwards:

  • QFES volunteer ID cards (see discussion in Agenda Items below)
  • QFES fuel card system (see discussion in Agenda Items below)
  • Standing Order – Operation Unified 2016 – read, discussed and tabled in minutes
  • Standing Order – Operation Cool Burn 2016 – read, discussed and tabled in minutes
  • GWN black spot survey – 9 locations were identified as a concern during a training exercise. There has not yet been any response from QFES regarding this issue

Treasure’s Report: tabled in the minutes

  • the local government levy is due in September
  • Current balance of the main account is $62, 889.65
  • reviewed capital expenditure items, including:
  • replacement pump to fill collar tank: $6578
  • high pressure pump for 52 (see matters arising from minutes) – $27,000
  • drone program – $300
  • VCE activities – $7000
  • replacement and repair of chainsaw and other equipment – $3000
  • Malcolm proposed that $40,00 be put into a term deposit at the end of August. This was seconded by Chris. All agreed. There was general discussion about upcoming expenditure for the replacement collar tank pump and the drone funds. However, with the September levy deposit, there would still be enough money in the account for this expenditure.

First Officer’s Report

  • no updates from the brigade Meeting held 5 July 2016.

VCE report

  • Open Day was a huge success. Geoff estimates 800 people attended including many children. All agencies worked well together. There was discussion about the costing for reusable banners and the invoices that have already been submitted. The brigade bears all the costs associated with the event but $7000 had been allocated for VCE activities and so the expenses were covered. Greg suggested that the expense of such an event was warranted. Al l agreed that the money was worth spending and that the day was a success.

Supporter’s Report

  • Judy presented some fundraising ideas considering the craft show will only be held once a year (see discussion at Brigade Meeting 5 July) and then maybe not at all after 2017. Judy and Robyn have brainstormed several ideas that are worth continued exploration.
  • Mother’s Day event at the Bowls Club – high tea and other activities to attack the local mums
  • Father’s Day event in October
  • various facilities were discussed including the Bowls Club, Zamia, VYCC
  • Malcolm suggested a musical evening as they had been successful in the past. There is potential for this event to be held in 2017.
  • Judy is to continue to explore all ideas
  • Judy also raised the issue of the supporters’ shirts. Greg indicated that the new shirts are still a work in progress.
  • Judy also flagged that some supporters were concerned that they were not emailed regarding the last round of market parking. It was agreed that supporters would be emailed before each market parking event as they are avid supporters but not present at the Tuesday training night to indicate their support.
  • Amanda to send out an email prior to 14 August market parking

Agenda Items

  • volunteer ID cards: An email and instruction leaflet was sent out to all brigade outlining the process for volunteers to obtain a volunteer ID card. At this point, it would be a very time consuming task for our brigade due to the numbers involved. There was some discussion about whether we needed this card, given that we have our own card the outlines a person’s position and has an expiry date. This lead to a broader discussion about the amount of paperwork that seems to be required by Regional Office and it is becoming increasingly difficult for volunteers to stay on top of it all. In the future an administrative person may need to be employed. Therefore, it was agreed by all that we would retain our own system for the foreseeable future and ensure that members’ cards are up to date.

 

  • An email was also issued regarding the upcoming fuel card system implemented by QFES. This brigade receives funds from Council that goes towards such expenses. To alleviate the problems with the local service station accounting system, our Book keeper is looking into getting Caltex and Shell fuel cards for all trucks. If we maintain our own funding arrangements for the time being, we can still apply for funding from QFES in the future. Geoff raised the issue of QFES forcing us to use their funding and not Council’s funding. However, Greg advised that the email sent through from David Heck (tabled with minutes) advises that brigades can join at a later stage. For this brigade, the use of Caltex and Shell cards overcomes many issues we face at a local level. These cards can be set up as a direct debit to alleviate any further paperwork for Malcolm. It was agreed by all that we should wait until further instruction from QFES regarding this matter. Greg would email Janice regarding the go ahead for acquiring fuel cards.

 

Other Matters arising

 

  • petrol station closure: discussion about the upcoming closure of the Main Street petrol station as they undergo renovations was required as refuelling would be a concern. Nigel Waistell indicated that the closure could be as long as 4 months and no immediate notification was required before work began. Nadia O’Carroll is going to investigate what other options exist in terms of the storage of fuel etc. She will report back to the brigade in due course. There was some discussion about notifying Regional Office once the works begin as the absences of a petrol station would be an issue if a major event was to happen on the mountain during the course of the renovations. Greg would manage that communication.
  • training matters – an upcoming chainsaw training course to be run by QFES has been cancelled. This is a continuing problem with much needed courses being cancelled at the last minute for a range of reasons. Greg is in negations with local chainsaw trainers to run a course for our members.  Amanda to email firefighters to determine level of interest that will then dictate how many course will be required.
  • Maria and Amanda to organise a turn out room clean out in the near future. There are items of PPE and general kit that are not named and perhaps not needed.

meeting closed at 8.31pm

 

 

Posted in Brigade Management

Tamborine Times 30.6.2016

Fireies and More……

We are often asked “What do you do each week when there are no fires about and they would be unlikely because of the current weather conditions?”

If it's flooded............
The simple answer is that we are training for our “All Hazards” approach to volunteering.
This means that we are constantly reaffirming our ability to get the best out of our expensive equipment and familiarise ourselves with the best way to approach each incident.
It is just as important now as it was 50 years ago, that we can all handle the basics of fire-fighting at any time, and this is the area where we concentrate our training. Our Crew Leaders and Officers take this responsibility seriously, striving to perfect quick, efficient operation all of the time.
Along the way, all members teach and encourage the new members joining the Brigade. There is quite a lot to learn and new members frequently take several months to become expert enough to reach a standard in all the basic operations which will enable them to pass the Firefighter Minimum Skills (FMS) practical assessment.
Further optional training will generally be undertaken in skills such as chainsaw operation at various levels; First Aid, again to advanced levels; electrical safety; truck driving licence for a limited number, ability to assist at road crashes and supplying water to our Auxiliaries in the event of a structure fire.
For those with FMS and Firefighter Advanced Skills, with some experience on the fire ground, the first level of additional training generally involves a weekend, live-in, Crew Leader course followed by an assessment. Crew Leaders are, of course, at the forefront of our operations, are often in charge of the first appliance to arrive at an incident and must quickly decide on the appropriate action and requirements for further crews, so they bear some responsibilities of which they must be aware.
Later, more training is available at increasing levels of complexity for incident management. This can be very challenging and has implications well beyond our general area of operation.
___________
Don’t forget the Family Day, Sunday 31st July, at the Station, to meet some of the many emergency service workers on the mountain.

Posted in Tamborine Times

Tamborine Times 16 June 2016

The last fortnight has been a busy time for the TM Rural Fire Brigade. Over the last weekend of May, we and several other RFBs helped with a major burn of 700 hectares on National Parks’ land towards the Northern end of the Mountain. This was an intended and ecological burn which did not threaten properties – very different from the wildfire in the same area which many residents will remember some years ago.

The burn was run as a major exercise to test all aspects of response to a real wildfire; whether on the Mountain or elsewhere. The Show Ground was very helpfully made available as the Incident Control Centre. The ICC coordinated the actions of some 30 trucks and 250 firefighters over three shifts and three days. The operation tested organisation, preparedness and response as well as doing an important job for our National Park. It was most successful.

Read more ›

Posted in Tamborine Times

Tamborine Times 11 May 2016

Just a few  of the many Firies who helped raise a few thousand much needed dollars at last weekends Mothers Day Craft Extravaganza on behalf of the Tamborine Mountain Rural Fire Brigade. They still had their energy and smiles after the 3 day Event and are pictured above,( l to r). VCE Peter Quaife,Judy Gater,Rosie Talbot,Peter Wilson,Clr.Nadia O’Carroll,Maria de Koning,Heather Epps,Sam Webster,Paul Talbot and VCE Geoff Richardson.
The Brigade would like to thank all those other Firies who also gave their time from setting up the room prior to the event,and making local guests and visitors welcome. Hope you will be able to make our next Show in October folks.

May 16 presentation May16 Craft

Posted in Tamborine Times, VCE

Training with the SES

Filling Collar tank at a Clagriba exercise

Filling Collar tank at a Clagriba exercise

Briefing for the joint filling exercise with SES

Briefing for the joint filling exercise with SES

TM13 in action filling a Collar tank for the Firefighter games.

TM13 in action filling a Collar tank for the Firefighter games.

In early March 2016 a joint training exercise in the collar tank deployment was conducted with the State Emergency Service. In the event of a major fire, the role of the SES is to collect the collar tank from the fire station, setup the equipment at the Tamborine Mountain Sports Ground, man the tank during the entire fire operation then pack up and return the equipment to the fire station.

About now you are probably wondering what a collar tank is, the basic explanation is a large tank for the refilling of fire-fighting helicopters; the helicopter hovers over the collar tank and sucks the water up into it’s tank, this water is then dropped onto the fire.

The vital role of the SES is to clear away any debris and sports ground equipment on the southern oval, place the tank in the middle of the oval, run a large hose up to the underground tanks just near the southern side of the clubhouse, about 150 meters, then using a pump called Big Bertha and a suction hose, water is pumped out to the collar tank.

The collar tank itself is self inflating, which means as water is pumped into the collar tank the sides raise , once the collar tank is full it stands a bit over 5ft 1.5m tall, holds about 9000 liters and  from a distance the shape of the collar tank may look like an onion.

The rural fire brigade has a close working relationship with the Tamborine Mountain & Beaudesert SES brigades.

Posted in Training

Tamborine Times 31st March 2016

SMOKE ALARM BATTERY REPLACEMENT.

Did you know that the 1st April is recognized throughout Australia as the day to replace your SMOKE ALARM batteries. The main reason for this is that records indicate that the majority of house fires occur during June, July and August whilst we are using heating, therefore we need to make sure that our batteries are strong and able to detect any smoke in the house.
So don’t be an April Fool and change your batteries as it is ONLY working smoke alarms that saves lives. Even if your smoke alarms are hard wired (that is connected to the 240 volt power supply) you still need to replace the batteries as it can happen that if you have an electrical fire and the circuit breaker trips and turns the power off, unless your battery is working your alarm will not have any power to operate.
Whilst the battery is being replaced it is recommended that you check the replacement date on the alarm as they have a life of 10 years then must be replaced. The replacement date will be visible once the alarm is opened.
If yours have reached the replacement date, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services recommend that you replace them with the “Photo Electric” style as they pick up smoldering fires much earlier that the older “Ionisation” style which can be identified by the radiation symbol marked on them.
If you need any clarification on smoke alarms, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our Volunteer Community Educators on 0438 558 414.

Geoff Richardson AFSM
Tamborine Mountain Rural Fire Brigade
Volunteer Community Educator Area Co-ordinator
0438 558 414

Posted in Tamborine Times, VCE

Savy Well and Wise Tamborine Mountain

Geoff Richardson and myself attended the Savvy Wise and Well event at Mount Tamborine where there were 28 people in attendance including presenters. Our topic was being bushfire prepared where we presented a Prepare Act Survive presentation and handed out Bushfire Survival Plan’s. We also spoke on Smoke Alarms and changing battery on the 1st of April.

Posted in Uncategorized, VCE

Road Crash Rescue Assist

On the 23rd of March at 18:36, Tamborine Mountain Rural Fire Brigade responded to assist Queensland Fire and Rescue, Queensland Ambulance Service and Queensland Police Service at an incident on Tamborine Mountain Road. Upon arrival TM52 checked in with the Incident Controller and liaised with Police to perform traffic control. After TM41 and TM81 arrived, manpower was required to assist the urban crews with hauling the victim up the steep hill on the side of the road. Crews were released at approximately 20:00 before returning to the station.

Posted in Incident Reports

Competitions

The inter-service rivalry was strongly evident at the 2006 competition held on Tamborine Mountain.

Despite our best efforts, we were not the winners, but all enjoyed the action.

Read more ›

Posted in History, Training

Earlier Times

Steve Luckett, our First Officer in 2005 and an expert computer user, recorded a number of images from his time in the brigade.

Read more ›

Posted in History